Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Don's Entry


Good evening Mr. and Mrs. North America and all the ships at sea; let's go to press!!

(I just felt like starting my introduction with an archaic Walter Winchell reference)



My name is Don Gates (no, no relation to Bill, I'm afraid). I guess you could say my first pulp-type experience was as a four or five year-old, when my grandmother played an episode of "The Shadow" for me. Scared the hell out of me, but also set in motion the events that would lead me to a lifetime hobby.

Here I am now, a die-hard pulp-era adventure fan. How die-hard? Well, I don't know how many Shadow fans have a tattoo of their hero, but I do. I don't know how many pulp fans nearly got teary watching "Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow", but I did.

I'm kinda hard-core, I guess.

My new friend Gabriel and I kinda clicked with our interests in the pulpy side of entertainment, and so have collaborated on this site.I am mostly a fan of The Shadow, Doc Savage, and The Avenger in all their forms (I even have a handful of the original pulps), but also have a great deal of affection for those other pulp heroes and magazine titles, as well as period-style adventure films, movie serials, radio shows and comic books...

These are all culminating in a trio of pulpy projects I'm working on: Challenger Storm, The Cipher, and The Black Wing. I'm going to be bouncing these developing ideas off of an all-star team of pulp fans (who each have their own impressive project, whether it's a blog, webcomic, or anything else), and will pobably be starting an online journal of the developments in the near future.

My personal goal is to have at least one pulp novel published, and maybe to do some crossover collaborations as well. We'll see what happens, and I'm sure it'll be a good time.

Brought to you by rich, chocolaty Ovaltine, and by The Goodrich Safety Silvertown Tire (with the "Life-Saver Tread")!

No comments: